Monday, January 23, 2012

A Mystery -- Breaking Silence

Sometimes I feel the need to read something outside my comfort zone which is typically historical fiction or nonfiction. And lately I find I've read a lot of Amish based fiction which isn't historical actually but more like a romance. As it's also outside of the usual American culture, Amish fiction shows a peek into what a simplier life is like.

 However, this particular book Breaking Silence by Linda Castillo is rather a police mystery set in Amish country in Ohio featuring Police Chief  Kate Burkholder.  I didn't realize that it's the third one with similiar settings and the same main characters but it stands alone -- it's not necessary to have read the others to understand and follow the story line. 

Conversations between characters seemed stilted to me; as well, as limited character development. I didn't particularly enjoy this one; it was rather gory and some of the facts and incidents were shocking.

Sometimes it seems writers aim for the "shock" value. 


No comments: