Monday, January 23, 2012

Bibiography Time with

I seeming to gravitate toward non-fiction at the moment. Just finished:

The Real Elizabeth: An Intimate Portrait of Queen Elizabeth II by Andrew Marr

The biography was completed in time to correspond with the 60th anniversary of her reign. What an amazing life she has had. A life of privilege with huge responsibilities. She ascended the throne in 1952; all my life she has been the queen.  Her first child, Prince Charles is a few years older than I am --- when I was little my mother would tell me I could become a princess if I married him.  Hummm...where did she get that?

She became queen in her mid-twenties, married only a few years and with young children.  Her first Prime Minister was Winston Churchill, a figure made famous during World War II. She has known and received all the U.S. Presidents since Harry Truman--again a person known from history books. She has given such continuity to the British people and Commonwealth. And through bad times and troubles, she has conducted herself with dignity and grace. Monarchy is modernized and made more relevant because of her reign. But it hasn't been all tea and crumpets. National issues and crisis, family and associates and the changing face of the world all have shaped her reign.

 It's an interesting read and shows a personal side of modern history.



No comments: