Friday, February 17, 2012

The captive heart by Dale Cramer

For some time I've read books with an Amish setting. They typically provide a good story and a peek into the Plain People's unique way of living. This is the second book in the Paradise Valley: Daughters of Caleb Bender trilogy by Dale Cramer.  The author's father was Old Order Amish and he has Amish relatives so he brings authenticity of his writings. In 1922, a group of Ohio Amish moved to Paradise Valley in Mexico to establish a community there.  This was a period of unrest in Mexico with bandits roaming freely and terrorizing peasants and farmers.  The story revolves around Miram and her growing affection for Domingo, who works with her father and the other residents. I actually enjoyed the first one much more than this one. I sometimes have the feeling that a author stretches out a story line to make it into a three book deal. But if when I read the first of a trilogy, I want to read the next one and after that I want to find out the end of the story -- so I suppose this is a successful book publisher strategy.

Several years ago I read another book by this author, Levi's Will which I thoroughly enjoyed. It's a prodigal son story with an Amish setting.

No comments: